« Home | Shaw » | Tower Grove Heights » | Shaw » | Shaw » | Shaw » | Shaw » | Tower Grove East » | Shaw » | Shaw » | Tower Grove East » 

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 

Compton Heights


Tell us the story of how you chose your house. What makes your house your "home"?
I call my house the "Magic House" because it has a special charm for me. It was built in 1878 and is quite unique in every way. I particularly love the side yard with its large old trees, the wanton ivy that threatens to consume the front walk every summer, and the play of light that changes by the minute within the house from the skylight over the stairs and the tall windows that reach almost to the high ceiling. After retiring I looked in the city for two years for just the right place. With the help of neighborhood friends and some very good luck I found my dream home and have loved every day here since. My "Magic House" has history, mystery, and I sometimes think a soul of its own.

What does your neighborhood mean to you? Why do you stay?
My neighborhood has a rhythm of its own. Open friendly people jogging, walking their dogs, smiling and saying "Hi" as they walk by. I live across from an elementary school and there is the weekday surge of children coming and going. It is basically a quiet and serene area. I am close enough to neighbors to feel a sense of community but at the same time have space enough to enjoy my privacy.

How do you describe the neighborhood to your family? your friends? Are the two descriptions different?
To both family and friends I would emphasize the delight of living so close to Tower Grove Park, the Missouri Botanical Gardens, and the great Grand South Grand area. I adore the variety of restaurants and little shops, charming and convenient. No boring "Big Boxes" here. In my neighborhood you have easy access to a diversity of people, activities, and scenery. It is a stimulating and enjoyable environment.

Tell us about your ideal snapshot of the neighborhood in 5 years. In 10 years.
I would like to see more of the same. There is still an amazing amount of development going on here, both rehabbing and some new construction. My fondest hope for the future would be that this area continues to develop in the same direction it has already taken toward a great quality of life with a warm and diverse community of good neighbors.