« Home | Shaw » | Tower Grove East » | Shaw » | Shaw » | Tower Grove East » 

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 

Shaw

Tell us the story of how you chose your house. What makes your house your "home"?
My wife had lived in Shaw in 1982-83 right out of college. When we made the decision to move back to St. Louis in 1987 following grad school, we settled on an apartment in Shaw. Sixteen months later we moved across the street to our house and have been there ever since. Instead of "location, location, location," we based our decision on "woodwork, wainscoting, staircase!" Our house is our home because of our kids. They love it, they have loved growing up in it, and they refuse to entertain the idea of living anywhere else. Who are the parents to argue? I figure that I've saved roughly 5 months of my waking life in avoided commute time over the past 19 years!

What does your neighborhood mean to you? Why do you stay?
I stay because it's home, pure and simple. Shaw to me means beautiful parks within easy walking distance. It means easy access to the entire metro area. It means expanding, vibrant diversity within our community. It means (for the most part) friendly, helpful neighbors. And it means a short commute to work; more time to spend as I choose, every day. I expect to retire from the exact same home we live in today.

How do you describe the neighborhood to your family? your friends? Are the two descriptions different?
Better now than it's ever been. We still have the challenges of many urban neighborhoods, but we have made great gains in the past few years. I feel better than I ever have about our decision to stay when the kids reached school age.

Tell us about your ideal snapshot of the neighborhood in 5 years. In 10 years.
In five years: still a diverse housing stock, but with a higher proportion of owner occupied homes (not just of the single-family variety). Continued economic and ethnic diversity, coupled with continuing decreases in crime and noise. More families with school-age children. In 10 years: More of the same. If my kids come back to live in St. Louis, I hope that Shaw will be a place they want to raise their kids!